Friday 15 February 2013

a weekend with a new/old friend

Photobucket

What constitutes knowing somebody in the internet age? Before I had a blog, knowing someone was fairly clear. You met them; and either inclination or circumstance kept you knowing them. Since I started blogging though, I've developed relationships with all sorts of people I've never met, a fair number of them it can be assumed I will never meet. But through reading their blogs over months or years, I know some of them better than I know some of my real-life friends.

A couple of weeks ago I hosted one such friend who I had never met before, Ashley. I don't even know which random click brought me to her blog or her to mine 2 1/2 years ago, but I've been interacting with her since I lived in Mexico. Now, she lives in London, so obviously we had to arrange for her to come and visit me here.

I had fun giving my usual rambling tour, long on food and coffee and short on actual monuments, most of which I made her visit by herself. ;)

Photobucket
dinner with friends

Photobucket
I took her to Parc de la Ciutadella for the obligatory mammoth picture

Photobucket


We had chocolate and churros and coffee at Granja Viader
Photobucket

And on Sunday we went to Parc Guëll. I hadn't been for years myself... it's good having visitors!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
That crazy girl in green was wandering around the park in skin-tight pants and six inch heels. Somehow she made it up the pinnacle with the crosses though.

Photobucket
And we did quieter, more local things, like watching Swing dancing in a square in the Gràcia neighbourhood.

Photobucket
And going for cocktails with friends, on a night when I became an official cocktail photographer! Ha!

Come back any time Ashley! Now that we know each other and everything. Also, we've got to finish drafting our best-selling future novel about sexy Leprechauns!

10 comments:

Ashley said...

haha, yay! Thanks for being so generous and such a knowledgable tour guide. Sexy Leprechauns in going to be the biggest hit ever!

Norbyah said...

what a lot of fun! i often wonder about meeting some of the lovely women, like you, whom i have had the pleasure of following. it is a weird, but pleasant by product of our internet age, isn't it? that, and i've reconnected with old friends who read my blog, too. i caught up with a school friend at christmas, after twenty (gulp) years...and i forgot that she'd been avidly reading....but then she knew so much more about my life. catching up was a piece of cake.
xo
n

Ashley said...

@Norbyah: It was funny talking to Emily because I knew a lot about her life already through her blog. I found myself saying, "that one time when you posted on..."

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Haha, yes that was funny. Our conversations would go, "so, when you had that job you hated...." "When you sort of moved to Turkey...." And we knew what each other's families and dogs and stuff looked like. It actually made me realize how so many of my friends don't know these things, and then really wonder why I don't want all my friends reading my blog...

Closet Fashionista said...

Yay! It looks like you guys had so much fun!! And it's so true, now with the internet you can "know" people who are miles away. And if you're lucky, one day you'll meet them. Insane!
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Kezzie said...

How lovely! Glad you had a nice time!x

ana said...

It's great having this kind of friendship with the blogging pals I've met some great people like You!

Rubies and Emeralds said...

I always look forward to reading your blog. All of your pictures are always stunning :)

xoxo
http://rubiesemeralds.blogspot.com/2013/02/shopping-is-best-distraction.html#comment-form

Dus of Cuddly Cacti said...

look like a wonderful time! it's so fun to meet blog friends in person and even better to host & show them around. love the park, brings back fond memories of a visit w/ my friend who lived there when i was in spain & the swing in the plaza really makes me miss life in Spain overall.. people never do things in public places here and it's such a shame.
http://dusanabotswana.com

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

I always enjoy reading about blogger meet-ups! Even though I haven't been around much in the past year, I still feel like I know some of my internet-friends better than my real-life friends. Funny this internet age.