Tuesday 22 April 2014

new niu publishers

 photo DSC_2149_zpsf4408d9f.jpg

 photo DSC_2166_zps76c873ab.jpg

Tomorrow in Saint George's Day, birthday of Shakespeare, Cervantes, Nabokov and my father, Day of the Book and the Rose in Catalunya. I generally celebrate it by walking and looking at the books and enjoying any chance to celebrate the written word. Last year I even appeared on a newspaper supplement as one of the poster-children for reading! That was pretty special. But this year is even more special because Víctor and I converted ourselves into a literary editors and publishers for the occasion.

For a few years now, I've been part of an English writing group here in Barcelona. We meet every week to discuss each others writing, suggest improvements, give encouragment and so on. Members are a mixed bag of English teachers, journalists, translators, editors and others (we had a doctor once, and we currently have an ex-priest) and come from pretty much any English-speaking country you can think of, as well as some Scandinavians and exceptionally fluent locals. ANYWAY, in time for Sant Jordi this year, I decided to organize a collection of some of our short stories. I edited it (I work as an editor anyway, but it was great to get to edit fiction for a change) and Víctor did the graphic design (he also has a history designing books).

We snapped these pictures the day before it went to the printers... it's amazing how a DSLR can make anything look glamourous, even head-ache, eye-ache, back-ache, lack of sleep, lack of hair-washing or make-up applying... I think they're just golden because I was so content to be doing what I was doing. (Although seriously, next time writer people, we're going to talk about formatting before you give me your submissions). It looks like I'm fake-working but I really was correcting like a maniac at the time.

The anthologies are back from the printers and I can't wait to share them here tomorrow!

 photo DSC_2164_zps8819c7d4.jpg

 photo DSC_2152_zpsbcdd638d.jpg

4 comments:

Kezzie said...

Wow!!!! Impressive!!! So when are they being sold to the public?? X

Xavi said...

Congrats for this new proect!!!
Have a nice Sant Jordi day.

ps.
...exceptionally fluent locals. I agree with you :D It's an exeptional phenomena.

Miss Marie said...

Congratulations! It must have been a relief to have them go to the printer. And I remember you posting about this day another year - it's such a beautiful idea, I love it! One day, when I finally make it to Spain, I will try to time it for this wonderful day. Hope you have a fabulous time.

In Front Row Style said...

que bonito tu blog!! me encanta ver mi ciudad desde la óptica de una canadiense ;)
Las fotos tienen un estilo único.
Por cierto, acabo de descubrir tu blog y está genial. Me quedo por GFC!
Un beso. V.
www.infrontrowstyle.com